Have you ever had a Cannoli before???
You know those Italian fried tube shaped pastry shells filled with a pastry cream sprinkled with mini chocolate chips dusted with powdered sugar!
If you answered no, we are seriously gonna have to talk…
If you answered yes, then one point for you 🙂
Mmmm Cannoli’s…. YUM!
Well this cake pays tribute to Cannoli’s.
Let’s just start with the cake itself…
First off it’s a simple boxed white cake that is baked then when cooled topped with sweetened condensed milk that is poured all over the cake.
Yes! condensed milk, which I think is in a food category by itself of pure lusciousness. Now, I only poured half of the can and allowed it to soak into the cake.
Place it in the fridge for an hour.
Try not to eat the cake at this point…
Now comes the famous cannoli filling/icing-frosting or what we will be using as the frosting. This cannoli frosting is definitely the best part of the cake. It’s not overly sweet like most frosting’s but is the perfect pairing with this cake.
Plus you top it off with mini chocolate chips and dusted powdered sugar…
You may find yourself licking the pan when its all said done… I won’t tell anyone! 😉
This simple white cake soaked in sweetened condensed milk topped with a sweet cannoli filling-frosting, sprinkled with mini chocolate chips dusted with powdered sugar will knock your socks off!
- 1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients on box
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Bake cake according to directions on box for a 9x13 pan, and allow to cool completely.
- Next, poke holes all over the top of the cake, about an inch apart. I used a straw to poke the holes in the cake.
- Pour half of the can of sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cake, then cover and refrigerate the cake for 1-2 hours. Reserve the other half for the frosting.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mascarpone and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
NOTE: Do consider straining the ricotta before using, especially if it's a particularly watery brand.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until completely combined. Add the rest of the condensed milk--or as much as you would like, choose your consistency for the frosting.
- Remove cake from refrigerator, then spread cannoli frosting over the top of the cake.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Cake can be kept and stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, if it can last that long!
If you make any of our recipes, share them on instagram or twitter be sure to tag me @thatssoyummy and use the hashtag #thatssoyummy! I love seeing your photos!
Enjoy and see you next time!