A favorite family classic in our home is a simple Italian dish made up of chicken cutlets with garlic and mushrooms in a sweet sauce. I think sometimes in another life I was Italian, because I cook so many Italian recipes at home. Having a variation of chicken recipes in my repertoire definitely gives me the ability to make different chicken dishes for my family. I mean dinner can get pretty boring if the same dish is being made every night. I like to use three chicken breasts, cut in half each one and then pounded to 1/4 inch. This not only stretches the meal but also helps with tenderizing and cooking time.
I love cooking Italian because you can make some of the delicious meals with such few ingredients. This classic Italian dish is truly one of the easiest recipes to make and will make all think you were in the kitchen for hours at a time. Trust me once you make this dish once you will find it become a staple in your home. Enjoy!
A Classic Italian dish made from chicken cutlets, mushrooms, and Marsala wine.
- 3 Chicken Cutlets, sliced in half, pounded until ¼" thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 5 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 8 oz. White Button Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon Shallots, minced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup dry Marsala Wine
- ⅓ cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Split each chicken breast through the middle to make 2 pieces. Place plastic wrap over them and pound each one flat using a meat tenderizer/mallet, or a good ol heavy pot... until they are about a quarter inch thick.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in ⅓ cup flour. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken, and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate, and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter, and then add mushrooms; cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate with chicken, and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet, and then add shallots and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp. flour; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Marsala and stock; cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pan until slightly thick, about 2 minutes. Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining butter.
- Season with salt and pepper; garnish with parsley, if you like.
______________________________________Enjoy and see you next time!