Spring is always the perfect time to experiment with colors and flavors. I think its so much fun trying to come up with different breakfast recipes that can be made for any day of the week especially holidays. You already know about my love for breakfast and you also should already know my love for red velvet…
Do you guys remember my Red Velvet Pancakes, or maybe my Pink Velvet Pancakes…?
Yea, these babies are just like those but 1–they are green, and 2–they are waffles. But the steps are pretty much the same. With these waffles though I added a cream cheese glaze that I drizzled on top.
Ok, you can stop drooling now…
Are you ready to get your green on… I’ll stop chatting so yo can start cooking 🙂
Whisk, Mix and Cook…. Does it get any easier! 🙂
Green Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Glaze
A remix on a delicious waffle recipe, Green Velvet Waffles with cream cheese glaze!
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 1¾ cup Buttermilk
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon White Distilled Vinegar
- Green food coloring (liquid or gel)
- 6 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup – 1 cup Whole Milk
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Grease waffle iron and begin preheating.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and vinegar on low speed until well-combined. Add red food coloring (you want to add enough to achieve a red a couple shades darker than you actually want – the color will lightened when added to the dry ingredients).
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and still until combined. You can also add additional food coloring at this point if you desire, just mix gently.
- Cook waffles according to your iron and size. Generally, waffles are done when they stop steaming. Makes approximately 10-12 regular size waffles.
For the glaze:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy, a couple minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Start with ½ cup milk and add more to achieve desired consistency.
Enjoy and see you next time!